When a patient needs to replace a missing tooth or teeth, Dr. Stephen J. Pyle, Weston’s first dentist, frequently recommends dental implants over bridges and dentures. Implants have many significant advantages over more traditional treatments particularly in the areas of performance, longevity and improved quality of life.
If you find yourself in need of replacement teeth you’ll want to understand your treatment options before making a decision. While implants are not “new” to dentistry it has been our experience that patients know far less about them than they do about bridges and dentures even though implants are often a superior option.
To help you with your decision we have put together a short list of the advantages of dental implants:
- Most natural like replacement. Because these teeth are implanted into bone they are far more stable than other options and strongly mimic natural teeth. An implant looks, feels, fits and performs just like the other teeth in your mouth. Bridges that are anchored by other teeth don’t provide the stability of an implant and can shift or even come out while eating, laughing or even sneezing.
- Most durable option. Implants, if properly cared for, will last a lifetime. Good quality bridges and dentures will last between 7 and 10 years before they have to be replaced.
- Preserves natural bone. When teeth go missing there is a chance that the jawbone will deteriorate somewhat. When the jawbone is not being used to anchor teeth it can lose some of its strength and firmness. An implant actually stimulates the jawbone and encourages the growth of new bone.
- Easy and natural care. You care for implants the same way you care for your natural teeth. They require the same brushing and flossing as their natural enamel neighbors. Bridges and dentures have to be removed, brushed, and soaked overnight to retain their shape and color.
- Complete self-confidence. Because implants look exactly like natural teeth and are firmly attached to bone you can smile, speak, enjoy your favorite foods, sing and kiss without fear of embarrassment. The change in the quality of life once implants are in place is absolutely amazing.
If you would like to learn more about dental implants, call our Weston dental office today and make an appointment with Dr. Pyle. You’ll be happy you did.