What are Gummy Vitamins?
Gummy Vitamins are special vitamins designed for children (and also the elderly) who may have trouble swallowing pills or dislike the taste of chewable vitamins. Gummy vitamins look and taste like a soft, chewy gummy candy rather than a pill. Many children find gummy vitamins easier and more fun to take than standard vitamins.
Are Gummy Vitamins Bad for Teeth?
Although there is no conclusive research linking gummy vitamins to cavities, many pediatric dentists have been expressed concerns. In several cases, dentists have known children who have never had cavities, but developed them soon after starting to take gummy vitamins.Gummy vitamins are both sugary and sticky, a combination that makes it likely that excess sugar will remain in the mouth after eating gummy vitamins.This sticky residue provides an ideal habitat for cavity-causing bacteria.
What Causes Cavities?
Cavities are caused when bacteria attach to the teeth and release acid. These bacteria feed off of sugar, which is why eating excessive amounts of sugary foods or candies can lead to cavities.Cavities can be prevented by regularly flossing and brushing in order to remove the bacteria and the food particles it feeds on.We also stress to the parents of our small patients that regular visits to a dentist will remove bacteria in the form of tartar that normal brushing and flossing cannot.
What is the Best Way to Use Gummy Vitamins?
Gummy Vitamins are still a valuable way for children to take vitamins, and by following a few simple rules the danger of cavities can be minimized.Since cavity-causing bacteria take time to cause damage, the goal is to ensure that the sugary residue does not remain on the teeth longer than necessary. It is best to take gummy vitamins with meals or before brushing teeth, since this will remove the excess sugar and bacteria. Make sure not to give gummy vitamins after brushing teeth or immediately before bedtime – in these cases the bacteria will have a long period of time to grow and cause damage.
Finally, please be sure that your children understand that gummy vitamins are medication and not candy.We advise our Weston area parents to be sure not to leave the gummy vitamins where smaller children can help themselves in order to prevent overdosing.Smart use of gummy vitamins is possible, but we all know that it is best to get nutrients from a well-balanced diet.